The Internship (INT) USA option is for students and new graduates currently living in New Zealand, or students and new graduates (with New Zealand passports) who are currently living outside of New Zealand to find training in their field of study and explore life in the United States with maximum freedom. The programme permits you to intern for 12 months in an approved training programme.
The programme is designated by the USA State Department under the Intern category of exchange visitor programmes and enable students and new graduates (starting an internship under 1 year since graduation) to undertake 12 months career-related practical training in the U.S.A.
Internship New Zealand and CIEE will help you to prepare for your experience and obtain all the necessary work documents as well as provide supervision and emergency backup service during the programme. Please note that for the Internship USA Programme, applicants must source their own placement.
What is Included
Internship NZ (as an agent for CIEE) will provide:
- A comprehensive and regularly updated CIEE web site providing information on finding jobs and living in the USA;
- 24 hour emergency support from CIEE;
- Comprehensive health and accident insurance in accordance with US Government requirements;
- The DS-2019 certificate of eligibility to undertake training in the US required for the J-1 visa; and
- A participant handbook.
Internship NZ is authorized to sponsor interns in the following eight categories:
- Arts and Culture;
- Information Media and Communications;
- Education, Social Sciences, Library Science, Counseling and Social Services;
- Management, Business Commerce and Finance (including Hospitality & Hotel Management);
- Health-Related Occupations;
- The Sciences, Engineering, Architecture, Mathematics and Industrial Occupations
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing; and
- Public Administration and Law.
Placements should consist of practical training directly related to your field of study/work. Practical training will vary from position to position, but include a rotation of departments, if applicable, and a well-rounded exposure to the company/organisation. Although the training takes place in the work place, the programme does not allow participants to simply work in the USA ( for example, replace a regular employee).
Casual or second jobs are not allowed - this includes volunteer positions.
CIEE cannot sponsor participants to work as the following:
- Au pairs, maids or any other domestic work such as baby-sitting or housekeeping;
- Camp counsellors;
- Medical trainees or anything involving hands-on therapy, counseling, administering treatment or making diagnoses of medical, psychiatric or psychological conditions;
- Pharmacy positions directly related to dispensing medication to patients;
- Veterinary trainees involved in hands-on care of animals;
- Pilots or crew members on ships or airplanes;
- Casino trainees directly involved in gaming;
- Teachers or educational instructors; or
- Temporary or staffing agency employees.
In order to be eligible for the programme, participants must be ALL of the following:
- At least 18 years of age;
- Either currently a full-time student at a university or other nationally recognised institution of post-secondary education in a course of at least one year's duration (One year post-graduate students are also eligible) OR start within 12 months of graduation;
- Confirmed on a pre-arranged, full-time internship in a field relating to their studies/qualification. The position can be paid or unpaid; and
- Able to support themselves with a minimum of $1000 per month from salary, personal savings or a guarantor (parent, bank, etc) for the duration of their stay in the US.
In addition, all participants must receive a pre-departure orientation.
The programme runs all year.
Work visa lasts for 3-12 months and is issued for the exact dates of the training plan, as per employer's notification.
Participants can remain in the USA as tourists for up to 30 days after their work visa expires but this must be arranged at time of application.
How can I find out more and apply for the Internship USA Programme?
If you would like to know more about the programme or find out how to apply, please click here